Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Government

Well I haven't done a blog post in a while so I thought I would just share my US Government paper since I'm bored maybe.

 Our country is basically divided between two parties, both intent on securing the freedom and prosperity of this country's people, but use some very different ways and means to achieve this goal. Both parties have good and bad things in their platforms, and I do not think I can simply choose a party to align myself with. I will choose to take the route of an independent. I however, will touch on some of the points each party makes, including the growing national problem in healthcare, the problems in foreign relations and some of the wars we are experiencing right now, homosexual Americans problems regarding their service to their country and the problems they have back home in the attempt to be given the right to marry.
Firstly, I will be addressing our nation's problem with healthcare. I believe the system is in need of a complete overhaul, I'm not advocating the more radical or socialist aspect of healthcare, but that side should not be completely disregarded. The healthcare system in place at this moment leaves many Americans who have preexisting conditions stuck in a very difficult place, insurance is marked up with a premium for things they might not even have any control over. I don't believe the government should have complete control over the healthcare and insurance market, monopolies are probably something we should avoid. I do however believe a government run healthcare system should be implemented, as a choice that could possibly help out those in need, those with disabilities or preexisting conditions or might not have the funds to secure their own healthcare rights, which I believe all Americans are entitled to. Everyone should have equal opportunity to receive healthcare, and in our current system , select individuals are discriminated against based on conditions they could have simply been born with, and they should not be punished for something they have no control over. The program should not be available to everyone, and I believe if we reformed our current healthcare system we could use the money that we saved from that and use it in this venture. State government does not even have to be directly involved in the healthcare, they could provide funds for the Americans in need, and have them choose their own carrier. Carriers should not discriminate based on preexisting conditions or disabilities, and that alone could potentially safeguard against this problem, but in most cases people with preexisting conditions or disabilities will generally have more hospital visits, doctor appointments, prescriptions and money allocated to their health will on average be higher than those without preexisting conditions or disabilities, which is why they need help. They deserve healthcare just the same as any of us, and should not be punished just for something they have no control over.
Next I will touch on another problem our country is facing, and the greatest source of our debt today. Today our country faces threats in other countries, most notably in Afghanistan and Iraq. I found the quote in the democratic platform particularly interesting: “We need to be a ‘super smart power’ not a ‘super power.’ That means we need to be a world leader; not a world bully.” -
Listening to America participants, Lebanon, PA”(32) I agree with this quote, we need to be more smart with what countries we are going into, and how we are going about it. We need to focus more on our own defense, than trying to force countries into democracy, like we have done with Iraq. This tactic not only fails, but will lead to more hate and attacks against the United States. With Iraq, the 9/11 attacks are not proven to have actually originated in Iraq. We need to step up our spy and espionage programs to avoid such a blunder again. We need to remove troops from the situation as quickly as possible, while still keeping Iraq from becoming too unstable. Governmental spies could play a huge role in this, countries like Iraq have very little chance of becoming completely stable, what we need to invest in is spies and espionage, the more we know about Iraq and what things they are plotting and planning would safeguard us against any future attacks. Both parties are attempting to fix the problems in Afghanistan, and the Democratic party has said: “we lack the resources to finish the job because of our commitment to Iraq” (24). and the Republican party reacts with: “We flatly reject the Democratic Party's idea that America can succeed in Afghanistan only by failure in Iraq” (13). The Republican party in a way attacks the Democratic idea without a really legitimate basis. A failure in Iraq cannot be really considered a failure, the failure was going to Iraq in the first place, and as such it's not necessarily a failure in Iraq that will lead to success in Afghanistan, it's more of a ending of an altogether unnecessary war, to finish what we went to the Middle East in the first place for, to remove terrorists that harmed us during September 11th.
Along with war and the usual strife associated with the military, the nation faces another problem, homosexuality in the military, and back home as well. In the military, homosexual Americans have the right to serve their country in times of peace and war. The Republican party has said that homosexuality is “incompatible” (5) with the military. I don't believe this is altogether true, there are measures we could take to solve the problems of homosexuality. In the current “Don't Ask Don't Tell” policy we are spending money to train and deploy troops, then if it is found that they are homosexual they are sent back home. This is a great expense to the nation, costing over $360 million. A more affordable solution would to offer separate housing and showering for homosexual Americans. A separate tent, or room that the nation already owns would not cost more to be segregated for homosexual Americans, nor would it cost more to have them shower at different times. Obviously for any behavior that is unacceptable, they should be punished accordingly. It's not that homosexual Americans are incompatible with the military, it is just that the military refuses to make it work. Back at home Americans who are homosexual have problems getting married. It is not in the constitution to choose who can or cannot be married. The federal government should have no control over this. They should not completely disallow any form of marriage, except for the problem with consent, no one should be married if they do not consent to it, children obviously, will not comprehend exactly what marriage is, and they should not be allowed to marry very young to older people for their own protection. States should not be allowed to disregard a marriage license. Federal or State Government should have no control over adoption, blood parents and adoption agencies, should have the control over who they allow to adopt their babies, although in the interest of protection of the child, some people should be denied access to adoption, such as criminals and sex offenders. They should not force Religious institutions to comply with the marrying of a homosexual couple, religions should be allowed to choose who they are allowed to marry, and choose who they view as married. The only problem with marriage of homosexual Americans is the benefits gained from marriage, tax rebates among other things. Government cannot discriminate the entitlements that come with marriage based solely on sexuality. If marriage should be called something else, such as a civil union, so be it, if that is what it takes to give Americans their rights.
I believe government does not have the right to force healthcare, adoption and marriage policies upon its people, but they can offer choices and let private institutions and people decide on their own. The nation will never agree on anything, but denial of healthcare rights should not go unchecked. Democrats and Republicans both have the country's interest in mind, and both bring up valid points on different issues, but I find it foolhardy to align myself with either side, as we all are Americans and need to bring ourselves together, in the interest of our country.

1 comment:

  1. This is brilliant. I agree with most of it, though I'd have to do some personal research myself. Good points, excellent ending, insightful... you geniusest.
    Nice job. :)

    ReplyDelete